Nargis Khakin: The DAAD-Stiftung's scholarship changed my life
Nargis Khakin proudly presents her certificate awarded by the TU Braunschweig
As a recipient of the DAAD-Stiftung scholarship which was donated by the wonderful Dr. Monica Steegmann from Juni 2011 to February 2015, I wanted to thank you for your generosity and financial supports towards my higher education.
As a young chemist and university teacher in one of the least developed countries in the world with no practical experience in laboratory for scientists, I always dreamed to continue my studies in a developed country with a high level of academic competition, getting experience in lab and experimentation and extend my chemistry knowledge to the higher levels. Only then I could reach out to my students and the community effectively. Unfortunately, pursuing my dreams by my own was impossible because of the financial requirements.
„This scholarship has played a key role in achieving my educational dreams.“
It has allowed me to:
- investigate theoretical and conceptual knowledge
- get to know new experimental techniques and approaches
- practice a wide range of personal and transferable skills such as problem solving, team working, observing and following protocols
- learn how to manage resources (including time)
- work more effectively and safely in a laboratory or in the field.
- make bonds with young German scientists and researchers and exchange our chemistry knowledge
Nargis Khakin at her German language class - back then still with a scarf
Moreover, in terms of my personal life this scholarship helped me to:
- have a safe and controlled pregnancy and to successfully give birth to a healthy child, as Afghanistan's maternal death rate stands among the highest in the world.
- get rid of all those violence and tortures from my husband and his family,which had made my life bitter
- Stand for my right and get back the freedom I had lost after my marriage
- learn German and know more about the German culture, its tradition and values
- Make connections with many other international students from all around the world, exchange our knowledge and experiences and get to know about different cultures
Based on the reasons mentioned above, this scholarship was much more than just an academic scholarship to me.
Nargis Khakin in her work/research environment at TU Braunschweig
Currently I am a PhD researcher at TU Braunschweig and am going to earn my degree in 2019. Afterwards, I would give back to the community that opened the doors of success to me and the way I am inspired by your financial generosity, would love to help other students achieve their goals.
Thank you for enabling this opportunity!
Editor’s note: Due to the difficult personal circumstances Miss Khakin had to experience she was not able to finish her studies in the standard study period. In order to save her from having to go back to her home country the DAAD-Stiftung also sponsored Miss Khakin from its Emergency Fund for the duration of one semester.